Does UV light kill mold?

Does UV light kill mold?
Does UV light kill mold?

Yes, UV light does kill mold. We’ll show you how different types of UV interacts with mold and how you can use it.

Topics Covered

  • The different types of UV light
  • How to kill mold with a UV light
  • Safety considerations
  • Will a UV flashlight kill mold?
  • How long does it take for UV light to kill mold?
  • Where can I buy a UV light?
  • Conclusion

The different types of UV light and their effects on mold

UV light is divided into three main categories based on their wavelengths: UVA, UVB, and UVC. Let’s explore each type and their specific impact on mold:

UVA Light

UVA light has the longest wavelength (315 to 400 nanometers) and is less effective in directly killing mold. However, it can still play a role by inhibiting mold growth and preventing spores from reproducing. UVA light can penetrate deeper into materials and may help in reducing mold-related odors.

UVB Light

UVB light has a shorter wavelength (280 to 315 nanometers) than UVA light and has stronger germicidal properties. It can kill or deactivate some mold spores, hindering their ability to reproduce. UVB light is generally more effective against mold than UVA, but its impact may vary depending on factors such as intensity and exposure time.

UVC Light

UVC light is the most effective type of UV light for mold remediation. It has a shorter wavelength (100 to 280 nanometers) and higher energy, allowing it to easily penetrate the outer structure of mold spores and damage their DNA, rendering them unable to reproduce. UVC light is commonly used in professional mold remediation processes to eliminate mold and inhibit its growth.

It’s important to note that the effectiveness of UV light on mold is not solely determined by wavelength, but also by factors like exposure time, intensity, distance, and surface coverage. Proper application and adherence to safety guidelines are crucial to achieve desired results.

How to kill mold with a UV light

Using UV light for mold remediation can be an effective approach in certain scenarios. Here are some practical applications and considerations when utilizing UV for mold remediation:

UV Light Devices: Invest in professional-grade UV light devices that are specifically designed for mold remediation. These devices emit UVC at the appropriate wavelength and intensity to effectively kill mold spores and inhibit their growth. Just keep in mind to always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safe and optimal usage.

Surface Treatment: Use these devices to directly expose mold-infested surfaces to UVC light. Move the device slowly and maintain a sufficient distance from the surface to ensure thorough coverage. Pay attention to areas where mold growth is visible or suspected, including walls, ceilings, floors, and furniture.

Air Treatment: Consider using UV air purifiers or HVAC systems equipped with UV light to treat airborne mold spores. These systems can help kill or deactivate spores as they pass through the UV light. However, note that air treatment alone may not be sufficient for comprehensive mold remediation and should be combined with surface treatment.

Safety considerations

When using UV for mold remediation or any other purpose, it is important to prioritize safety. Here are some crucial considerations and precautions to ensure proper usage:

Protective Gear: Always wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when working with UV. This includes UV-rated goggles, gloves, and clothing that covers exposed skin. These protective measures help shield your eyes and skin from potential UV light exposure.

Manufacturer’s Instructions: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines provided with the device. Familiarize yourself with the device’s specifications, recommended usage, and safety precautions specific to that particular model.

Avoid Direct Exposure: Do not expose your skin or eyes directly to UV light. Make sure that the light is positioned and directed appropriately to minimize the risk of accidental exposure. Keep a safe distance from the light source as specified by the manufacturer.

Limited Occupancy: Clear the area being treated of any occupants, including pets. UV can be harmful to living organisms, and it is important to prevent unnecessary exposure to humans and animals during the treatment process.

Time and Duration: Adhere to the recommended exposure time and duration for the specific UV device you are using. Excessive exposure can increase the risk of skin damage or other adverse effects.

Ventilation: Ensure proper ventilation in the treatment area. This helps disperse any residual ozone produced by some devices and reduces the concentration of ozone, which can cause respiratory problems.

Environmental Considerations: Protect sensitive materials, such as artwork, fabrics, and plastics, from prolonged exposure to UV light, as it may cause discoloration or damage. Cover or shield such items before conducting treatment.

EC3 Sanitizer Fogger and Mold Solution Concentrate Bundle

The EC3 SANITIZER Fogger is a specialized sprayer that utilizes ultra-low volume technology to apply antibacterial, deodorizing, and antifungal solutions in indoor spaces.

Will a UV flashlight kill mold?

A UV flashlight, also known as a blacklight flashlight, may not be as effective in directly killing mold as professional-grade UV light devices. Most UV flashlights typically emit UVA light, which has a longer wavelength and lower energy compared to UVC light. While UVA light can help identify certain types of mold by causing them to fluoresce, its ability to kill mold is limited.

On the plus side, UVA light may have some inhibitory effects on mold growth by disrupting the reproductive process, but it may not fully eliminate the mold problem.

Additionally, the effectiveness of UVA light depends on factors such as intensity, exposure time, and proximity to the mold. It may also not penetrate surfaces or reach hidden mold colonies as effectively as UVC can.

How long does it take for UV light to kill mold?

The time it takes for UV light to kill mold can vary depending on several factors, including the type of light being used, its intensity, the distance between the light source and the mold, and the specific mold species. Additionally, the size and severity of the infestation can also influence the time required for effective eradication.

In general, UV light exposure needs to be sufficient enough to penetrate the mold cells and cause damage to their DNA or other vital structures. This process typically takes several minutes to a couple of hours, depending on the factors mentioned above. However, it’s important to note that UV light may not reach hidden mold colonies or penetrate certain materials effectively, which can prolong the treatment time or require multiple sessions.

Where can I buy a UV light?

Online retailers like Amazon offers a wide selection of UV lights for mold removal. Home improvement stores such as Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Ace Hardware might have them in their cleaning or pest control sections. Specialty stores focusing on cleaning supplies, sanitation, or indoor air quality may also carry UV lights. Additionally, HVAC and air purification retailers and some medical supply stores might stock them.

Room Surface UV Light Sanitizer

This Anti-Microbial UVC Light is a trusted and powerful room surface sanitizer. It uses 253.7nm UV-C light to kill bacteria, viruses, mold, and fungus without any heat.

It’s perfect for homes, businesses, and classrooms to maintain a clean and healthy environment.


UV light, particularly UVC, has the potential to kill mold by damaging its DNA and inhibiting reproduction. Professional-grade devices are effective for treating mold-infested surfaces and air. UV flashlights (UVA) can help identify mold but are less effective at killing it. Treatment time varies based on factors like light type, intensity, and mold species.

Further reading

Can sunlight kill mold?

Can heat kill mold?

Can borax kill mold?

Can pool chlorine kill mold?

Can mouthwash kill mold?

Can salt kill mold?