Does hydrogen peroxide kill mold?

Does hydrogen peroxide kill mold?

Hydrogen peroxide is a safe, natural disinfectant that easily removes mold on porous and non-porous surfaces. Here we will find out what it is, what the pros and cons are, and how to remove mold with hydrogen peroxide.

Topics covered
  • What is hydrogen peroxide?
  • Pros and cons
  • How to remove mold with hydrogen peroxide

What is hydrogen peroxide?

Hydrogen peroxide is hydrogen and oxygen. It gets rid of mold by decomposing it through an oxidization process.

There are also different grades of hydrogen peroxide. The ones you find the stores and pharmacies are 3% concentrate, and that’s the grade we will be using. The higher the grade, the more dangerous it becomes to humans. Also, a higher grade doesn’t necessarily mean that it will do a better job at killing mold because 3% concentrate does the job perfectly while still being safe to use.

As a matter of fact, Lysol, which produces a lot of bleach-based cleaning detergents, released a much safer, hydrogen peroxide version.


Pros and cons

Hydrogen peroxide is cheap and readily available at most stores and pharmacies. It’s also entirely non-toxic for humans, animals, and the environment unless swallowed, of course. Furthermore, it removes mold on both porous and non-porous surfaces while being safe to use on all types of materials.

Sounds great so far, doesn’t it? But there are downsides. Firstly, it can cause skin irritations in sensitive people, but this is easily overcome by wearing gloves. Also, hydrogen peroxide doesn’t really kill mold; it only removes it. And although a disinfectant, it won’t do much in terms of killing mold spores.

Also, how you store your bottle of hydrogen peroxide is extremely important because it will degrade under high temperatures and direct light exposure.


How to remove mold with hydrogen peroxide

Removing mold with hydrogen peroxide couldn’t be any easier, as it only requires a couple of steps. Also, please wear gloves because, although non-toxic, hydrogen peroxide can still cause skin irritations in sensitive people.

1: Pour some 3% hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle. Keep it undiluted and spray the moldy surface area with it until its saturated.

2: Wait for 10 to 20 minutes while the hydrogen peroxide gets to work.

3: Scrub and wipe the mold away.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest

BlackMoldFix is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Links | Privacy Policy | © 2019 All Rights Reserved

Pin It on Pinterest